Wow. Hands down, Portugal is my favorite European country. It has everything any individual would want. They have enormous caves, beautiful city centers, steep cliffs over looking staggered rocks, stunning vantages points, and suburb houses with metal roofs.
The cities with monuments I visited:
- Cascais day trip – I’d highly recommend to take a full day trip here
- Hell’s Mouth (rent bikes to bike here from city center)
- Most western viewpoint (#1 VIEW IN EUROPE)
- Belem – No need to be here for more than half a day
- Get the Belem Pastry!
- If you’d like – visit the monastery, but it is nothing to die for. I did not go inside and just took some pictures from the outside which was also lovely.
- Sintra – Half day or full day trip
- Palace de Pena
- FREE Walking Tour
- Lovely way to learn more about the city. I’d recommend everyone to do a (free) walking tour in every city they visit – on the first day!
- Detour Genesis Waterfall Tour
- I would HIGHLY recommend you do some type of tour with Detour. They do a fantastic job of showing you the “detour” parts of northern Portugal.
- Stay in the Casa D’Algova Hostel!
- Best hostel I have ever stayed it. It really felt like a family there. They have dinners for only 5 euros every day and theyre home cooked!
- Caves – you HAVE to see the caves in Lagos or Algarve when you visit Faro.
- They are even more gorgeous than the pictures. Niju and I wanted to visit Lagos but it didnt work out so we ended up in Algarve for their caves.
- I would recommend a kayak or 3 hour boat tour to the caves. It was the best money spent on my Europe trip.
- Sevilla, Spain – take a day trip here or stay over night
- It’s only a 2 hour bus ride but it’s a little tricky to find your way back at times. Try BlaBlaCar to see if you can find a later ride back to Faro.